Art and Design
Art and design stimulates creativity and imagination. It provides visual, tactile and sensory experiences and a special way of understanding and responding to the world. It enables children to communicate what they see, feel and think through the use of colour, texture, form, pattern and different materials and processes. Children become involved in shaping their environments through art and design activities. They learn to make informed judgements and aesthetic and practical decisions. They explore ideas and meanings through the work of artists and designers. Through learning about the roles and functions of art, they can explore the impact it has had on contemporary life and that of different times and cultures. The appreciation and enjoyment of the visual arts enriches all our lives.
The aims of art and design in our school are:
· To enable children to record from first-hand experience and from imagination, and to select their own ideas to use in their work.
· To develop creativity and imagination through a range of complex activities.
· To improve the children’s ability to control materials, tools and techniques.
· To increase their critical awareness of the roles and purposes of art and design in different times and cultures.
· To develop increasing confidence in the use of visual and tactile elements and materials.
· To foster an enjoyment and appreciation of the visual arts and a knowledge of artists, craftspeople and designers.
Design and Technology
Using creativity and imagination, pupils design and make products that solve real and relevant problems within a variety of contexts, considering their own and others’ needs, wants and values. They acquire a broad range of subject knowledge and draw on disciplines such as mathematics, science, engineering, computing and art. Pupils learn how to take risks, becoming resourceful, innovative, enterprising and capable citizens. Through the evaluation of past and present design and technology, they develop a critical understanding of its impact on daily life and the wider world
The aims of design and technology in our school are:
· To develop the creative, technical and practical expertise needed to perform everyday tasks confidently and to participate successfully in an increasingly technological world.
· To build and apply a repertoire of knowledge, understanding and skills in order to design and make high-quality prototypes and products for a wide range of users.
· To critique, evaluate and test their ideas and products and the work of others.
· To understand and apply the principles of nutrition and learn how to cook.