Through Geography, the children’s curiosity and imagination are stimulated. We believe that Geography is a tool of learning and communication. It is essentially about the study of places, the human and physical processes which shape them, and the people who live in them. Skills developed through Geography help pupils make sense of their surroundings and the wider world.
The aims of Geography teaching in our school are:
· To ensure children gain knowledge and understanding of the local area and places in the world.
· To support children’s knowledge of other cultures, teaching respect and understanding of what it means to be a positive citizen in a multi-cultural country.
· To allow children to learn graphic skills, including how to use, draw and interpret maps.
· To work individually and co-operatively, listening to and valuing the opinion of others.
· To develop a variety of other skills, including those of; enquiry, problem solving, computing, investigation, field work and how to present their conclusions in the most appropriate way.