Science is the systematic investigation of the physical, chemical and biological aspects of the world, which relies on drawing conclusions based on first hand experiences and other sources of information. Problem-solving activities involving the scientific process are used to deepen pupils’ understanding of the concepts involved. Through science, pupils at Mackie Hill Junior and Infants School will continue to deepen their respect, care and appreciation for the natural world and all its phenomena.
Through science lessons at Mackie Hill Junior and Infants School, we aim to:
- develop pupils’ enjoyment and interest in science and an appreciation of its contribution to all aspects of everyday life.
- build on pupils’ curiosity and sense of awe of the natural world.
- use a planned range of investigations and practical activities to give pupils a greater understanding of the concepts and knowledge of science.
- introduce pupils to the language and vocabulary of science.
- develop pupils’ basic practical skills and their ability to make accurate and appropriate measurements.
- develop pupils’ use of computing in their science studies.
- promote a ‘healthy lifestyle’ in our pupils.